The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Monday, January 3, 2011

Portrait of a Younger Self

The other day I had a bit of a flashback to when I was a really young child. I considered writing a story about it, then realized that it sounded much better as a poem. Who knows, maybe I will write a short story sometime soon. I have not actively written in quite a while, because I am still in the process of getting over writer's block and finding a creative idea. I think that writing this much poetry may help me get a brilliant idea as to what to write next. Hopefully, I have not gotten rusty. Well, enough of my ramblings; here is the poem I wrote about my past self.


Portrait of a Younger Self
by Claire

I was the child
that saw dragons out the window
forgot to take my socks off
when getting in the tub
became a pauper
then a princess
then an alien
landing for the first time on Earth
I was the child
who cooperated with the dentist
when he said
"Stop sucking your thumb"
who was Saint Lucia
for as long as I can remember
I was the child
who engineered the perfect way
to get out of my crib
who taught that trick to my brothers
when it was their turn
who constantly collaborated with them
in building forts
and having mud fights
in the yard on rainy days
I was that wild child
whose imagination soared
to new heights each day.
I am still that child.
That wonderful
energetic
creative
child.
That was me.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.