The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Short Note on the Order of Things

First off, I am very sorry about not writing a poem yesterday. I wanted to wait until the night because  I was going to see a brilliant production of The Tempest, and I wanted to write about it. By the time we arrived home, it was late and I knew that I wouldn't write a poem to do it justice. I will make it up by writing a poem about it today.

My second note concerns the quality of poems up until this point on my blog. I have written some lovely free verse poems, and tried my hand at others, but none were stellar, or especially well crafted poems. The blog up until this point has been about exploring my thoughts through poetry, and basically write quick poems about whatever I was thinking about, with mostly no editing and little real attention to detail and the anatomy of the poems. My holiday season goal is to whip this blog into shape, and fill it with true poems full of emotion, rhythm, and holiday magic. I have been reading up on poetry, and realized it is much harder than the thoughtless typing I have been doing thus far. This weekend I discovered caesuras and enjambments, iambic pentameter and the rhythm that goes into each and every good poem. I have vowed to try harder with my poems, polishing them and experimenting with different and more technical types of poetry. One can hardly call oneself a poet if all they write are haikus and free verse. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

Of course, my poetical revolution will not take place overnight, but I am determined to get better as soon as I can. It will be a slow journey to the types of poems I have read and loved so much, like Shakespeare's sonnets, but I am learning, and I wanted you all to know that. I am determined to become a less immature poet and grow up a little. Hopefully I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks for all you kindness, and as always, if you have any advice or critiquing, please comment and tell me what you think. Thank you so much.

Claire

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy all of your writing! But, I think it is always good to keep learning and working towards becoming a better writer...we all do this :) And, a sure way to write better is to write, write, write! Best of luck and I look forward to reading more from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lillie! I am kind of in a transition stage right now...Wanting to create better poems but knowing they may not come for a little. I am still working on it, and I am very excited as to where it will go.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.