The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Monday, December 12, 2011

Poetry Revolution

Today's poem is one of a slew of not very good practice poems I have been writing in the past couple days. I am struggling to learn new vocabulary, along with timing and rhythm of poems. I have a wonderful poetry book by Stephen Fry which includes exercises with each segment to help with the learning. I love using the book, and although the poems are not good yet, I know they will be. I use the practices to get better at the basics, rather than just the fancy little things that go on top.

Anyway, the poem for today was from one of the practice exercises on the beats of a poem, and really trying to get them down. The challenge was to write two standard quatrains (four line poems) of iambic tetrameter about TV. I tried my best with the beats and accentuated syllables, and I hope you like it.

A cooking show where people eat
The spoils and losses of their food
A show where people dance and sing
And star-crossed lovers will be wooed

The stars of shows will flaunt their dreams
And open them to viewers all
Those heartbreaks bleeding fresh and strong
Because all pride comes 'fore a fall



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.