The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Monday, November 21, 2011

Write on Wednesdays

The saddest thing I ever heard...

It was the piglets. Their frantic cries pierced my heart, sad eyes turned toward the camera. How could anyone do this to innocents, so like our babies?

I watched their blood spurt, watched the men laugh and high five with each small pig killed. Would you kill your baby
simply because it was small? Or nurse it back to health, carefully, breathing life into the tiny animal who needs it so desperately?

The tears rolled down my face, though not as fast
as the sticky blood of the animals, slaughtered by men with cruel, hard faces. Why do we treat the same animals who love us and care for us so badly?

The cows whose sad eyes stare at the camera, pleading for just a  chance. A chance at life, a chance to be saved. I promise you, they promise you, it will be worth it.


This week's prompt was "The saddest thing I ever heard..." and I found it very hard to write. Right away, I knew that the saddest thing I had ever heard was the animals on a video I watched shortly before becoming a vegetarian. The emotions there are very raw, so I apologize if this was a little graphic. I almost started crying just while writing, so I know this struck home with me. 


-Claire

9 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings. It's so horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching! You described the graphic scenes of the piece very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you seem to be somebody who notices the details in scenes very good. because you described it so detailed! I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's not so much the slaughter but the pleasure that some people take in it that's so hard to understand (and frankly, would you want to?).

    Very moving and very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you did well, Claire. A heart wrenching topic and yes it was graphic but that's why I went with the prompt...I know it was a big ask from people but I thought it was worthwhile forcing us to explore such a 'BIG' emotion. Sadness can be hard to write. You didn't make this sound cliched, it was from the heart, beautiful and heartbreaking. I could tell you were close to tears when you were writing this...Thanks for sharing this with us

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad... I haven't been able to write this week, but am trying to read the pieces (until I get too sad...)
    Well written Claire
    K

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is incredibly moving and vivid, Claire. I agree with Sarah, and no, I'm (mostly) happy not understanding people's minds (or lack thereof). I sometimes wonder how those people manage to sleep at night, but then I remember that they're completely heartless. Your piece tied a knot somewhere along my esophagus -- and that I like. Depressing and beautiful writing.

    / Rain

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.