The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Saturday, July 2, 2011

Bat Mitzvah

That day on the playground
        We laughed and joked
Smiling because we knew that someday it would come
        It was distant, a hazy dream
But of course we over planned
         Years in advance we
Picked out dress colors and you
         Pretended to recite
Months followed
         The conversation was forgotten
As I watched you grow with me
          We were both learning
You getting ever closer
          The future
Rushing up to meet us
          Faster than I wanted it to
Soon the days of slides and
          Free for all were over as
We started to mature

Today I saw you
         Standing in front of
A group of people who loved you
         I watched as you proved
That you had grown older
         I remembered the chats of
Years ago and I
          Realized how far we had come
You recited perfectly, doing
         Just as well as I knew you would
In that moment I knew
          Throughout all those years
Spent in joking immaturity
           I had your back, and you mine
Sitting on the hard pew
           I congratulated you

4 comments:

  1. well... she didnt actually recite "perfectly" but it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a fried's bat mitzvah coming up. it's going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I know that your recitations didn't go perfectly, but the poem wasn't about that. This poem was about how proud I was. And another thing. Even though I used the word "You" I was talking and directing it at all three of you. Being there made me so happy, and you all did so amazing!!
    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, what should you get for a friend's bat mitzvah?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.