The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Thursday, March 22, 2012

Write on Wednesdays: Alex Miller Inspiration

First off, thanks so much to Jennifer for hosting us this week at her blog. She created a great prompt, and I was so excited to try it out! I chose to write for five minutes, and I came up with this piece, though I am not sure where from. I don't think it is really related to the prompt at all, but sometimes my mind takes me to strange places...

Claire

‘Something of great importance to me happened two nights ago.’

All alone in the great house, I sat silently by a flickering television, trying to distinguish my feelings. First, there was the gut wrenching anger, the passion and fury so powerful it threatened to take me over. Then, quickly after that, the strong and sweet tang of remorse, followed by a painful longing that throbbed and chilled me. I sat there, huddled in my blanket, sifting through all those feelings I thought were finally gone, watching the trees bend in the wind, submitting themselves to a great force. At some point, my hands began to shake, and I felt a single tear slide down my cheek. The spot of salty wetness on my shirt was a mark of incredible feeling. It brought together the doubts and frustrations and the great love I was feeling. I sniffed quietly, wallowing in my self pity and anger, letting the moon gloat over my horrible state. Even the stars giggled and viciously hid behind a cloud, locking me out. I felt a bottomless lonely feeling, one that even the blanket wrapped tightly around my shoulders couldn't squeeze away.



4 comments:

  1. A perfectly descriptive illustration of true emotion, and I hope its something you have not experienced often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it is completely fictional. I enjoy creating a story in my mind, then seeing if I am able to convincingly write it. Luckily, I am usually not that upset.

      Delete
  2. Claire, this is a wonderful piece. As sjp said, it's an excellent description of a true (and powerful) emotion. You did a great job at absorbing me into it and making me want to find out more: what led up to this moment, to this gut-wrenching pain and solitude. I especially love the throbbing of the painful longing, the hands shaking, and the bottomless lonely feeling that even the blanket can't squeeze away.

    / Rain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Claire - I love "letting the moon gloat over my horrible state"! Very intense description. You've successfully created the emotions with a life and a presence of their own, separate to the character.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.