The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction: Devotion

What is FSF? Each week, Lillie McFerrin posts a wonderful one word prompt here. I am horribly inconsistent about keeping up with FSF, but now that I am on school vacation, I am trying to stretch my writing muscles once again. This week's word is devotion.

Each day, early in the morning when the mist clung to the tree tops and the family was asleep, Mae tip toed down the stairs and eased open the front door. The grass was cool under her feet, and she felt goose bumps rise on her arms as she scurried towards the pines and the the cool dirt that lay beneath. This was Mae's quiet time, the time when her younger brothers drooled onto their pillow cases and her parents, exhausted, stayed in bed. When Mae reached the roots of one pine tree, she stopped, and crouched down to gaze at a small green shoot peeking above the soil. This was Mae's special time, and to her, this plant was magical. 

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. That second sentence really had an 'early morning' feel to it. And don't you just love the way brothers drool? Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful imagery Claire, I could feel a cool breeze and bare feet as she wandered...makes me want to know more about her magic shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wndrful...as if m living the early mrng excitmnt with her ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story. You did a wonderful job with your descriptions including drooling brothers. You left me wanting more. Is she drawn to the green shoot because it is magical or is it magical because she is drawn to it and keeping it her own? Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.