The Story of my Blog Title

Quilt of Dragonflies- My blog is named that for a reason.I am lucky enough to own a genuine Quilt of Dragonflies, which I am sure brings me good dreams when I sleep beneath it. It was given to me by a friend of my mother's, who handmade the entire thing. Color meets pattern in this fantastic piece of artwork which sits on my bed. Brilliant shades of purple, blue, and green intersperse with tie dye dragonflies. I will not hesitate to call it my inspiration.







Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Acorn and the Squirrel

It was a sunny and bright afternoon
The day the squirrel stored his food
Deep in the warm dry soil
He buried a solitary acorn
The sun smiled down on the small mammal
That had placed his trust so completely in
Mother Nature
The winter winds began to blow that night
Cold and sharp
They warned the squirrel of blizzards and whiteness to come
The squirrel
At ease with his source of food
Curled up in his
Warm and dry den
And settled into dreams
Imagining warm nights sitting by the fire
Unaware of the tempest howling outside his door
The acorn sat lonely in the rock hard ground
Its only hope being the sun
Which was destined to come out someday
And warm the ground around the acorn
Freeing it from the prison of winter
These two dreamers, their lives connected by a thread
The acorn and the squirrel

Winter passes
Spring arrives
The squirrel is lean and hungry
He hungers for the acorn

It was a sunny and bright afternoon
The day the squirrel went searching for his stores
He nosed the fine and crumbling earth in search of something
The acorn
Fruitlessly scuffling in the earth
The squirrel glances up
And sees the acorn
No longer an acorn
But a spot of green in the rough brown dirt
The acorn had accomplished its mission
The squirrel doggedly sets off
Searching for another acorn
While the victorious acorn
Snatched from the clutches of the squirrel by Mother Nature
Continues to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my piece. I am always looking for inspiring words, suggestions, and feelings you got from reading this. Please leave your thoughts here.